Han-kengai is a semi-cascade bonsai style. In nature, the tree is normally found in adverse conditions such as on the side of cliffs, along the slope of rivers, streams or lakes. Han-kengai thrives by holding tight onto the ground or clings on rocks with the trunk grows upright for a short distance and then turns downwards or side-wards. It is very delicate yet shows the resilience and spirit to face life. It is such an inspiration of positively overcoming those adverse conditions to thrive and grow.
Fissidens Moss (Fissidens fontanus) is our favourite moss to create the tree canopy since it perfectly replicates the juniper tree leaves. In addition, its slow pace of growth would make it easier for scape maintenance as well.
How to setup:
- Title:“The Passionate Han Ken-gai”
- Tank: 60x30x36cm (LxWxH), 64.8L, GUSH Crystal Glass Tank
- Substrate: PRODIBIO AquaGrowth Soil
- Hardscape: Bonsai Driftwoods and Lava rocks
- Filter: Eheim Ecco Pro 300
- Filter Media: Eheim Substrat Pro and Seachem Matrix
- Lighting: Twinstar LED Aquarium Light 600E / Chihiros RGB Vivid II
- Photoperiod:8hrs a day (0830hrs to 1230hrs, 1700hrs to 2100hrs)
- CO2:Pressure CO2 injection, 8hrs a day (0730hrs-1130hrs, 1600hrs-2000hrs)
- Chiller: Hailea HS-28a, set at 26degC
- Fertilizers:Seachem Fertilizers (N, P, K, Iron, Trace, Excel), total dose as per instructions that split into daily dosage.
- Water change regimen:30-50% a week.
- Fissidens fontanus
- Ludwigia sp. 'Super Red'
- Rotala nanjeanshan
- Rotala macrandra 'varigated'
- Rotala wallichii
- Myriophyllum 'Guyana'
- Anubias bartteri var. nana ‘petite’
- Micranthemum 'Monte Carlo'
- Glossostigma elatinoides
- Eleocharis acicularis 'Mini'
- Alternanthera reineckii 'Mini'
- Alternanthera reineckii 'Varigated'
- Syngonanthus sp.“Belém”
- Golden White Cloud Mountain Minnows (Tanichthys albonubes 'golden')
- Furcata Rainbowfish (Pseudomugil furcatus)
- Red Cherry Shrimps (Neocaridina davidi)
- Horned nerite snails (Clithon corona)
- Bladder snails (Physella acuta)